- plastic syringe without needle
- marshmallow (it should fit in the syringe)
- felt tip pen
- Draw a face on one side of the marshmallow and place it in the syringe so the face can be seen from the side.
- Place your finger over the end of the syringe where the needle is usually located. While holding your finger in place and making sure that no air comes through it, push in the plunger and observe what happens to the marshmallow.
- With your finger still in place, pull the plunger out and see what happens.
This is the first experiment in the book The Science Teacher’s activity-a-day. It is a wonderful book containing over 150 experiments to enjoy. Below is a link for the book.